Certificate in Practical Horticulture
RHS Level 2: Practical Course
- Soil Testing
- Sowing seeds and vegetative propagation techniques
- Practical skills in ground preparation for seeding and planting
- Practical skills in establishing seeds and plants in soil
- Care and pruning of plants
- Identification of a range of common garden plants, weeds, pests, diseases, disordes and beneficial organisms
- *Sustainable garden practice or safe operation of powered garden machinery
Duration: Courses run for 28 weeks on Saturdays at Ryton from 13.00-17.00 pm, and at North Moreton for 30 weeks on Thursdays from 9.30am -12.30 pm. Download leaflet for dates.
How each course is taught and assessed:
You will study 7 units. In 2012/13 the seventh (optional) unit will be Sustainable garden practice.
You will be shown how to carry out a range of practical horticultural tasks; then you will have the chance to practise them before you are assessed by the instructor. Each week involves specific tuition and assessment, so it is possible to join this rolling programme at any stage and continue until you have completed all assessments.
Achievement: When you have passed all of the assessments, we will apply to the RHS for your L2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture.