Develop a career in Horticulture
The horticultural courses & qualifications we offer will provide you with the skills & knowledge you need for a successful career.
B.E.S.T. in Horticulture delivers RHS theory and practical courses at Ryton Organic Gardens & North Moreton in Oxfordshire.
Register of UK Learning Providers Reference no: 10041193
Distance Learning Courses
There are two study options for RHS courses, an online course and a correspondence course; you choose the method of study that suits you best.
Online study through a “virtual classroom”
- Log on to your dedicated online classroom for each unit
- download all your notes, presentations and your revision workbook to read on or offline
- View interactive materials and ‘self-test’ quizzes online
- Contact your course tutor using the internal messaging system for feedback and support
- Upload practice exam papers and questions,
- Keep in touch with other students on your course through the online forum
Correspondence course with printed course book
- Full-colour printed course materials for each unit
- You can work whenever and wherever you like
- a revision workbook and unit exercises to complete, to help you consolidate your knowledge
- Contact your course tutor via email, phone or post for support in your studies
- Your tutor will mark your revision workbook and send you questions and a mock examination paper for each unit, give you feedback and help you to prepare for examinations.
Blended Learning Courses
Blended Learning is a combination of distance learning, practical teaching and assessment. The practical aspects are taught online, with formal assessments at our Ryton Centre in line with the awarding body requirements.
It is an excellent way of gaining a valuable qualification, studying when it suits you.
It is most suitable for experienced home gardeners, or anyone in the industry looking to validate their knowledge with a qualification.
It is not suitable for complete beginners or for anyone who does not have access to a garden or allotment, because it does require a high level of preparation and practice at home or work, using the videos, powerpoints and step-by-step notes provided for the tasks which make up the RHS qualifications.
Study: You can start online study at any time during the year, and begin to practise the tasks.
Assessment: Then sign up for assessment days when you are ready.
For level 2 there are six Saturdays, spaced through the year to cover all the seasonal elements (for dates and prices, see the leaflet below)
For level 3 there are three full weekends in February, July and October.
Face to Face delivery
Students attend centres to receive tuition & practical teaching in the conventional manner. We offer this in Oxfordshire and at Ryton Gardens near Coventry.
RHS in Oxfordshire
Bespoke & Specialist Training
We offer a range of courses that are designed to cover specific areas of horticultural interest at different levels, from masterclasses in horticultural techniques such as propagation or lawncare to City and Guilds machinery certifications.
We can also deliver supervision and management training, and design bespoke courses specifically to cater to your needs...
(Ryton Gardens Centre)
Starting April 17 2015:
a series of linked practical workshops on Friday afternoons at Ryton, showing you the most effective techniques to propagate your plants.
Three courses cover seasonal propagation:
Spring/Summer (10 weeks,April - July) £225
Autumn/Winter ( 9 weeks, Sept- Dec) £225
and Winter/Spring ( 9 weeks,Jan - March) £225
All three courses: £625
|Details and prices of courses to follow|
An Introduction to Garden Design
(North Moreton Centre)
Three Wednesday classes 9.30 am – 15.30 pm
22 April, 20 May and 3 June 2015
(practical homework to be completed between sessions)
An introduction to: surveying, plans and marking out; colour, texture and form in planting; garden history
Pruning Apple Trees
(North Moreton Centre)
A hands-on workshop session
Wednesday 10 December 2014 and again on Wednesday 21 January 2015 £75
Amenity and Garden Machinery
(Ryton Gardens Centre)
strimmer, rotary mower, hand-held hedgecutter
Options are 3 days training leading to an RHS unit;
plus 3 optional days of assessment leading to C & G Certificates of Competence
2015 dates not yet set
- Individually designed to meet your needs
Supervision and Management Courses
Certificates of Competence
- A range of courses designed to provide you with accreditations for your skills
- Contact us for further information